Tuesday 11 February 2014

Big Book of Nonsense - Poem Choice

Alongside developing my narrative illustration module, under the form of the Nobrow brief, another thing I will be doing is illustrating a poem, from Colin West's Big Book of Nonsense.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5177A9E07KL.jpg < image reference at this link.
The poem that I picked to illustrate, is entitled "The Stately Ship".

Photo of the actual illustrated poem, done so by Colin West.

"I sailed a ship as white as snow
As soft as clouds are high
Tall was the mast, broad was the beam.
And safe and warm was I.

I stood astern my stateley ship
And it felt so grand and high.
To see the lesser ships gave way
As I went gliding by."


For a possible idea for my interpretation of this poem, I was thinking about illustrating a ship sitting in the sea, I would use watercolours to paint the colours, and they would be similar to the colour scheme above.

I began by sketching some boats, to get an idea of how one might look. I went to Whitby to take photos in the harbour, here are some of my photos for reference.





In this sketch, I doodled a draft example of a ship, in the style I think may work well in the poem.


I will update this blog when I have more for this development.





Thomas.

No comments:

Post a Comment